G20 Leaders Summit
In November 2014, BNE “Welcomed the World” to the G20 Leader’s Summit in Brisbane.More than 70 State and support aircraft arrived and departed Australia via BNE, carrying the likes of Chinese President Xi Jinping, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, Russian President Vladimir Putin and Indian PM Narendra Modi.In total, 26 world leaders and their entourage used BNE, in what was the biggest weekend in the Airport’s history.
BNE G20 Fast Facts:
• BNE handled more than 70 G20 aircraft
• All movements and logistics were managed with 100 per cent safety and security result.
• There was a core BAC team of 25 running G20 planning with an extended team, including airside operations and terminals, of 50 people.
• The maximum handling time for state aircraft (from pull up blocks, disembarkation, baggage removal, aircraft servicing, towing and parking) was 45 minutes.
• The two peak periods experienced were: Friday when Russia, Germany, China and Canada arrived in a 90 min period, and Sunday afternoon with the arrival of six motorcades within 30 minutes.
• The biggest G20 aircraft at BNE was the Boeing 747-400 used by China, Saudi Arabia, Japan, Korea and India.
• The smallest G20 aircraft was a Falcon business jet used by Argentina.
• The biggest single motorcade was Russia with 27 cars.
• There were four separate special event zones across the airport.
• On time performance (OTP) for BNE throughout the G20 long weekend averaged 81.6 per cent
Go behind the scene with our exclusive video: