- About us
- What personal information do we collect?
- How do we collect personal information?
- Why do we collect and how do we use personal information?
- Who do we share personal information with?
- How do we keep personal information secure?
- How do you access or correct your personal information?
- Resolving complaints
- Contact us
Brisbane Airport Corporation is the operator of Brisbane Airport. When we handle your personal information we follow the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). This policy sets out the kind of personal information we collect, why we need it, how we use and share it and how we store it.
In this policy, “we”, “us” or “our” means Brisbane Airport Corporation Pty Limited (ACN 076 870 650).
Privacy collection notices
We may also tell you more about how we manage your personal information at the time when you deal with us. For example, when you fill in an application or accept terms and conditions they contain privacy notices which will supplement this policy.
In order to provide our services to you we need to collect and hold a range of personal information.
Our customers, airport visitors, tenants, service providers and other stakeholders
The kinds of personal information we collect from you may include:
- General personal or business details such as your name, address, postcode, contact number, email address, job title, employer, business card details, image, date of birth, gender.
- Information to prove your identity such as your driver’s licence number, passport number, Aviation Security Identification Card (ASIC), current and previous addresses.
- Feedback and other information you give us when we communicate such as your opinion, questions or complaints, preferences, social media information, medical details (if relevant to your enquiry or claim), responses to surveys, lost property details, consents to receive marketing and the history of our interactions with you.
- Financial, billing or transactional information such as your bank account and credit card information, purchase history and preferences.
- Security and travel information such as flight details, destination/origin, reason for travel, nationality, visa status and baggage message system status.
- Recordings from our Closed-Circuit Television (CCTV) system, mobile security devices and other security systems such as your image, location, surveillance footage, licence plate number, log of movements, voice and other biometric information.
Users of our websites, free Wi-Fi and other online services
The kinds of personal information we collect include:
- Information we gather when you visit our websites and other online services such as your device ID, device type, geolocation information, IP and MAC addresses, browser type and connection information, statistics on page views, ad data and information about the way you use our websites.
- Information you provide when you use our free Wi-Fi such as your name, email address, country/region of residence, postcode, contact number, responses to surveys, the location of your wireless device, device type, your arrival and departure time from our sites, IP and MAC addresses, length of browsing session, volume of data downloaded, operating systems and browser used.
If you apply for a job with us, the kinds of personal information we collect from you include:
- Information contained in applications and resumes such as your name and contact details, educational details, academic and other transcripts, qualifications, experience, employment history and skills.
- Interview and assessment information such as your responses to criteria and testing, notes made by interviewers, citizenship status or proof of right to work, membership of a political, professional or trade associations.
- References from past employers and referees and background checks.
Sensitive personal information
Sometimes we collect sensitive information from you such as your health information, biometrics or criminal record. We collect sensitive information only with your prior permission and if it is relevant to your interaction with us; or we may do so when we are allowed or required by law. For example, we may collect health information when we investigate a safety incident, as part of a job application (if it is relevant to the role you are applying for) or in the form of dietary requirements for an event. We are required by law to collect your criminal history if you apply for an Aviation Security Identification Card.
You give us information. For example, when you:
- communicate with us
- buy our products or services
- access our social media
- enter a competition
- subscribe for news or marketing offers
- apply to access, drive or work in secure areas on airport; or
- apply for employment with us.
We also collect information when you come onto Brisbane Airport, use our facilities and networks or visit our online services. For example:
- when you are captured by our security systems such as our CCTV system, number plate recognition system, mobile security devices and/or access control systems; and
- when we use network tools to collect wireless device locations from our networks and your devices.
Sometimes we obtain personal information about you from others, such as:
- your employer
- our service providers
- persons that you have authorised to give us your information (like referees or recruitment agencies)
- partners we exchange information with so we can promote or provide products and services (such as airlines or tenants)
- marketing companies who may provide us with your contact information to help us promote our products and services
- government and regulatory authorities; and
- publicly available sources (such as social media and online searches).
In some cases, if you do not to provide us with your personal information, we may not be able to give you the products or services you need or access to our facilities.
The main reason we collect and use your information is to run our business and provide our services to you. This includes activities such as:
- communicating with you
- for security and safety purposes (including managing incidents and investigations)
- conducting ground transport activities and managing our parking facilities
- providing you with products and services (including where applicable, third party products and services)
- confirming your identity and to assess and process applications you may make to us (for example, an Aviation Security Identification Card (ASIC), a Visitor Identity Card (VIC) and for employment)
- meeting our compliance obligations and assisting government or law enforcement agencies
- managing our retail and commercial properties and precincts
- carrying out construction and project management activities
- managing our websites and online services; and
- conducting, monitoring and analysing our businesses and internal operations (including training).
Using information to improve your customer experience
In some cases, we link data and information from different sources so we can give you a better customer experience. For example, we may link personal information with data from our internal systems such as our free Wi-Fi. We analyse this information to learn more about your preferences and our customers generally, to tailor digital content and to improve our products and services.
We may also use your personal information to communicate with you about news, offers, surveys, products and services we believe might interest you. We use various means of communication including, phone, SMS, email, through social media or targeted advertising on websites, through apps or as notifications to your device. Our communications will comply with applicable laws and we will obtain your consent if required.
If you have subscribed to receive direct marketing messages from us, you can:
- change your contact preferences by visiting www.bne.com.au/update ; or
- unsubscribe by selecting the ‘unsubscribe’ option on the communication (where applicable) or by visiting www.bne.com.au/unsubscribe.
We share your information with third parties that assist us to carry out our business and deliver products and services (as described in section 4). We require third parties to use the personal information we disclose to them only for the specific role we ask them to perform.
These third parties include:
- contractors assisting with our operations such as security, parking, bussing, e-tolling and maintenance
- businesses we partner with to promote products and services such as airlines, our tenants and tourism organisations
- banks, payment card agents and payment gateway providers
- software and technology providers such as network services, cloud storage, platform and software providers and IT support
- marketing, research and advertising providers
- government, regulators and law enforcement agencies such as the Department of Home Affairs, Austrac, WorkCover and the police
- administrative support such as recruitment, debt recovery and document destruction
- organisations that help identify illegal activities and prevent fraud; and
- our professional advisors such as insurers, accountants, auditors and lawyers.
We will also share your information with your authorised representatives and if we are required by law to do so.
We run our business in Australia and generally use systems located within Australia, but sometimes we send personal information overseas. For example, if our service provider stores data overseas or operates outside of Australia or, if we are required to do so by law. We may share personal information with third parties located in: Austria, Canada, Germany, Hungary, the Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, the United Kingdon and the United States of America.
We require all third parties that we deal with in Australia and overseas, to take appropriate measures to protect the personal information we disclose to them.
We capture Closed-Circuit Television (CCTV) footage to support our operations and target risks to aviation safety and security. We only share CCTV footage in limited circumstances. For more information read our CCTV Fact Sheet.
We store personal information in hardcopy and electronic form in secure buildings and systems or using trusted third parties. Some of the steps we take to protect those records include:
- maintaining up-to-date policies and standards for employees and contractors to follow
- giving our employees information security and privacy training
- using firewalls, passwords, access control, intrusion detection systems, monitoring tools and virus scanning and appropriate encryption to maintain network and system security; and
- keeping buildings secure by using access control, alarms, guards and CCTV.
When we use third parties to store personal information (such as cloud storage providers), we require them to take appropriate measures to protect it in accordance with applicable laws.
We hold personal information for as long as we need it for our business purposes or as allowed or required by law. When we no longer need it, we take reasonable steps to destroy the information securely or de-identify it.
Third party links
You can contact us to request access to your personal information or ask us to correct or update information that we hold about you. Contact us using the details in the ‘Contact Us’ section and we will consider and respond to your request.
There is no fee to make a request but, if your request is complex or we will incur extra costs in carrying it out, we may charge you a reasonable fee for preparing the information. If there is a fee, we will let you know, and you will need to pay it before we start.
We try and make your information available within 30 days after you ask for it unless we refuse access. If we refuse access or only allow access to some information, we will tell you why in writing.
If your information does not need correcting, we will also tell you why in writing.
We will always confirm your identity before giving you access or making any update.
If you have a complaint about how we deal with your personal information, please contact us using the details in the ‘Contact Us’ section.
We aim to respond to complaints quickly and to resolve them within 30 days. However, if your complaint is complex and we need more time to investigate it, we will contact you and let you know.
Online via our web form PRIVACY ENQUIRY
+61 7 3406 3000 - ask for the Privacy Officer
Privacy Officer, Brisbane Airport Corporation, PO Box 61, Hamilton Central QLD 4007