Did you know you can claim a refund on GST (Goods and Services Tax) or WET (Wine Equalisation Tax) at Brisbane Airport when you purchase more than AUD$300.00 worth of goods at a single Australian business, and you’re taking those goods out of the country. See what conditions apply.
The Tourist Refund Scheme (TRS) is an initiative of the Australian Government and allows the tax paid on the transaction to be reimbursed to all travellers (including Australians), when travelling out of the country with the goods.
The refund is redeemable at the International Terminal of Brisbane Airport.
Tourist Refund Scheme tips:
- Complete your claim online before you fly to streamline the process at Brisbane Airport.
- Be sure to allow additional time to your airport experience to process your refund.
- TRS recommends arriving at least 90 minutes before your scheduled departure time as queues at the TRS facilities can be long.
Eligibility to claim the Tourist Refund Scheme:
Any international traveller, including Australian residents, are entitled to take up this benefit, which is operated by the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs.
- You need to have spent AU$300.00 (inc. GST) or more in one store
- The purchase needs to have been made within 60 days of departure
- You must have paid for the goods yourself
- You need to present an original copy of the tax invoice
- Australian Border Force officers will need to sight the items you are claiming against
- Full terms and conditions are outlined here
- Alcohol such as beer, brandy, fortified wines and spirits do not qualify for the Wine Equalisation Tax
- Goods that are prohibited on aircraft for safety reasons
- Operating air crew are not eligible for the refund
- More details around exclusions are outlined here
Claiming the Tourist Refund Scheme (TRS) on liquids, aerosols or gels, or oversized goods, which cannot be taken as hand luggage onto the plane:
If you want to claim the refund on goods that you can’t carry onto the aeroplane (like those golf clubs you just bought), you will need to take your goods to the Australian Border Force Client Services Office located on Level 1 of the International Terminal before you check your luggage.
Where do I find the Tourist Refund Scheme office?
If your purchase is part of your carry-on luggage:
After you have checked in for your flight, please make your way through the departures portals downstairs to Level 3. The TRS office is located past security and passport control, just to the right of the Lotte Duty Free entrance. Please be sure to be there at least 90 minutes prior to your flight departure to allow sufficient time for the TRS Officers to complete your claim.
If your purchase is packed in luggage you intend to check:
You should make your way to the Australian Border Force Client Services Office, located on Level 1 of the International Terminal. You will need to do this before you check your luggage for your flight.
Please note liquids, aerosols and gels restrictions still apply to goods you wish to claim on, so you may need to check these in. Find more information about these restrictions here.
If the TRS offices are closed:
Australian Border Force endeavour to staff the TRS offices before all departing international flights but don't have set business hours for the counters. If the counters are closed, you are able to submit your claim by filling in a form and dropping your information into the dropbox. You will find this option outside the counter on Level 3 of the International Terminal after security and before Lotte Duty Free.
Can I lodge my information online?
Yes! The Australian Government Department of Home Affairs have developed mobile and web Tourist Refund Scheme Applications (Apps) that allow you to enter the information required to lodge a TRS claim even faster.
Using Apps you can enter:
- Your travel details;
- Details of the goods for which you are claiming a refund of Goods and Services Tax (GST) and/or Wine Equalisation Tax (WET); and
- How you prefer to receive your tax refund.
Your data will be stored in a QR code which will fast track your claim process at the Tourist Refund Scheme Office at Brisbane Airport.
With your QR code, you can join the fast-tracked ‘web line’ at the Tourist Refund Scheme Office and collect your refund faster.