Why rent a car in Darwin?
Renting a car to get around Darwin is the perfect way to take in all the sights in your own time. Darwin is famous for sudden weather changes, so having a hire car will offer you the flexibility to change your schedule to match the weather and make the most of your holiday. A trip to the Top End wouldn't be complete without ticking off all the must-do attractions such as Mindil Beach night markets, Howard Springs, a crocodile tour, fishing or taking a drive out to Kakadu National Park. Fly into Darwin Airport and collect a rental car to start your adventure.
Top car rental tips in Darwin:
- There are speed limits of 130kh/h on some country roads but in the city, it's still 50km/h.
- Be sure to keep an eye on the fuel gauge if you are heading out to the countryside. Towns with fuel stations can be hundreds of kilometres apart.
- Remember to take a break every two hours on long drives.
- Don’t forget your map if you are heading out to Kakadu as mobile service can be patchy.
- Pre-book your car rental before you arrive at Darwin Airport to ensure you don't miss out.
- When you arrive at Darwin Airport head to the arrivals hall near the baggage claim on the ground floor to locate one of the 6 rental car desks to pick up the keys and get on the road.
Things to do in Darwin:
- Experience a market like no other. The Mindil Beach Markets are the host to over 200 stalls offering an array of delicacies from around the world to unique arts, crafts and services.
- Meet the locals, if you are brave enough! The Northern Territory is home to largest crocodile habitat in Australia. Why not get up close and personal (and safely) with these fierce reptiles. There are many crocodile parks in Darwin to visit and you can even swim alongside with one in the “Cage of Death”. If you prefer to see them in their natural habitat, take a wildlife cruise on Darwin Harbour or the billabong along the Mary River.
- Experience the magic of Kakadu. This World Heritage area is filled with endless activities and views to match. Experience indigenous culture and art, hike through the wilderness and look out for the wildlife, take a river cruise or dip in one of the natural plunge pools, you won't be disappointed.
- Darwin is an angler’s paradise, situated on a peninsula surrounded by ocean, rivers and waterholes with many fishing spots. Try deep sea fishing and go chasing Spanish Mackerel, Longtail Tuna, Marlin and Sailfish or try your luck along the reef to find Black Jewfish and Golden Snapper. Darwin has a large selection of fishing charter options available to meet your needs.
- Unwind and relax in Litchefield National Park only 60 minutes drive from south Darwin, it's one of the area's best-kept secrets. Enjoy your day swimming in one of the refreshing waterholes surrounded by stunning waterfalls.
- The Darwin Waterfront is home to a safe swimming recreation area with wave pool that is sure to be a favourite of the whole family. After a quick dip to cool off enjoy the array of tasty meal options from the waterfront restaurants. Don’t forget to take a stroll along Wharf One for some shopping or Stokes Hill Wharf for fishing and harbour cruises.
- Take a cruise down Mary River or join a fishing charter to spot wildlife in this thriving ecosystem.