Why rent a car in Townsville?
Townsville’s year round warm weather makes it the ultimate location to enjoy the outdoor activities, al fresco eateries and its buzzing vibe. There is no better way to get around then hiring a car, with easy parking to explore The Strand, City Lane, Flinders Street and City Arcade for a delicious bite to eat and a spot of shopping. Fly into Townsville Airport, pick up your rental car and let your holiday begin as soon as you arrive. Swim, dive and snorkel the crystal clear waters of the world’s largest coral reef, trek up Castle Hill for panoramic views over Townsville or take a day trip to Magnetic Island, the options are endless.
Top car rental tips in Townsville:
- Taking the family? Don’t forget to pre-book a child seat.
- Make sure you book your rental car in advance so you don't miss out.
- You can take your hire car with you on the ferry when exploring islands.
- If you are planning to go off-road, make sure to book a four wheel drive to match the road conditions.
Townsville Airport car collection
Once you arrive at Townville Airport, 6 hire car suppliers operate from the arrivals hall to facilitate pick up and drops off of your rental car. There are loads of destinations to explore in Townville just a short drive from the airport.
Things to do in Townsville:
- Take a stroll down the palmed lined esplanade, The Strand, and grab a bite at one of the al fresco cafés before shopping up a storm. Head over to City Lane for the more cultural vibe and funky bar scene you won't want to miss.
- Head down with the family to the Riverway Lagoons, a series of man-made pools for a day of swimming and sunbathing. You can also enjoy a BBQ lunch or picnic at Pinnacle Gallery nearby.
- The iconic Magnetic Island is located off the coast of Townville and is a short 25 minutes away by ferry. A trip to Townville isn't complete without a day trip to the natural wonders of the Magnetic Island's beaches and waterways. It is a breathtaking island to explore that's for sure.
- For those more at home in nature, Castle Hill is a great hike and a favourite with the locals. The reward for getting to the top is a picturesque lookout over the coastline and an uninterrupted views across the sea. This must-do attraction is easily accessible by hire car.