Why rent a car in the Whitsundays?
Hiring a car in the Whitsundays is easy and offers you freedom to get around and explore some of the best beaches, waterfalls and countryside that Australia has to offer. From the Whitsunday Coast, you can take a day trip to Whitehaven Beach, hire a jet ski, sail the crystal clear water, snorkel the beautiful Great Barrier Reef or relax in the sun at Airlie Beach lagoon. Fly into Whitsunday Coast Airport located in Proserpine and collect a rental car to start your adventure.
Top car rental tips in the Whitsundays:
- The default speed is 50kph unless otherwise signposted.
- Rental car operators are not open all day, be sure to pre-book your rental car to ensure you don’t miss out.
- Airlie Beach is a short 30 minute drive from Proserpine Airport.
- Parking on the main street at Airlie Beach is free for 1 hour.
- There is paid parking available in convenient locations around the Whitsundays. This can be a busy area and consideration should be given to parking during trip planning.
- After you land at Whitsundays Coast (Proserpine) Airport head to the arrivals hall to collect your hire car, there are 7 rental car brands available. Once you have picked up your hire car. you are ready to start exploring the most spectacular part of Australian coastline.
Things to do in the Whitsundays:
- It's not a trip to the Whitsundays without a visit to one of the most famous beaches in Australia, the magnificent Whitehaven Beach. With 7km of soft white sand and turquoise blue water, this beach is truly breathtaking and is just a short boat ride from Airlie Beach or Hamilton Island.
- Revel in the all year round subtropical climate of Airlie Beach. Airlie Beach is the perfect base for your holiday to the Whitsunday Islands and the Great Barrier Reef. It may only have a population of 1,000 permanent residents, but Airlie Beach was made to welcome visitors with a main street full of restaurants, bars, accommodation, nightlife and shopping.
- Sailing the crystal blue water of the Great Barrier Reef is a popular way to experience all the incredible islands off shore and access the best snorkelling spots. Relax, unwind and have a glass of wine on board your own sleep aboard catamaran in paradise.
- More than just beaches, Conway National Park offers a tropical rainforest, waterfalls and walking trails with breathtaking views.