With school about to break for the year, a holiday is on everyone’s mind and heads up – it is going to be a busy time at the airport.
To help you keep your chill while travelling during this busy travel period, we've collected a bunch of travel hacks to help you plan ahead.
TIP 1: Be aware of the busiest travel days
Let’s be honest, school holidays on its own is a busy time for travel, now through in Christmas and office closures (for some) and you've got an extremely busy time. We all know this, but sometimes it can fall through the mind cracks and be a surprise. Be prepared, we are expecting the busiest travel days at Brisbane Airport to be:
- Passenger pick-up and drop-off, Domestic Terminal: 19, 20 and 24 December particularly between 5-11pm, the pick up and drop off roads around the terminal will be busy.
- Car parks, Domestic and International Terminals: Between 25 - 28 December we recommend allowing an additional 30 minutes to arrive at both terminal car parks for drive up and online bookings. Save time by booking ParkValet online in advance.
- Skygate and DFO: With Boxing Day sales on 26 December, there will be traffic congestion around the airport precinct - please keep this in mind.
It will be busy inside the terminals as well as the pick-up areas and on the roads to and from the terminals. Keep your chill by allowing extra travel time to and from the airport.
TIP 2: Book your parking online in advance
If you are looking to book car parking at the airport for your trip or to pick someone up, book online in advance for the best price. It will be a busy time at the airport, so being prepared with your parking in advance is the most convenient option.
- Take the easy way out and start your trip with the ultimate ease and convenience of ParkValet, just drop your keys with a parking attendant and let your holidays begin.
- Getting out of town for a long weekend? Park after 12pm on Friday and pick up your car before 12pm on Monday with the $39* ParkLong weekend special.
- ParkShort is the perfect option if you are picking up family and friends. You can help them with their bags and greet them in the terminal for just $5* for the first hour when you book online.
- Still not sure what parking option is right for you? Check out this guide to Brisbane Airport parking.
TIP 3: Use the waiting areas
If you are on pick-up duty and not planning to park, use the waiting areas until your passengers are at the pick-up zone and ready to go. Using the waiting areas will help reduce the traffic on the surrounding roads and your frustration if you are asked to move on and loop around because your passengers are not quite ready to be picked up yet.
TIP 4: Track your flight status
Whether you're flying out or picking someone up, you can track flights using Facebook Messenger or Twitter by adding the flight information into the direct message and receive notifications. If you are using our flight schedule you can tap the Messenger or Twitter icons from the website to start following updates about the flight.
TIP 5: Pre-flight preparation
Once you’re in the terminal, through check-in and security this is your time to start your pre-flight preparations or kick-start your holiday cheer. A few ideas we prepared earlier:
At the Domestic Terminal:
The Domestic Terminal Redevelopment is in full swing keep an eye out for what’s to come.
- Farewelling family or friends? Wave them off over a coffee and croissant at Trader & Co or a refreshing Boost Juice conveniently located before security near the Jetstar check-in.
- Get your complete fashion fix and browse Witchery, Country Road, MAC, Jo Malone London and a full line Seed Heritage stocking women’s and children apparel (and more).
- Fuel up before you fly and head to The Food Collective where you can find Ze Pickle, Mi Casa Burrito’s, Roll’d, YO! Sushi or Nippon Ramen. You’ll find something for everyone.
- Missing a present? New Farm Confectionery have a range of perfectly packaged gift boxes that are easy to travel with.
At the International Terminal:
- Grab a seat by the window, order a pre-flight coffee or cocktail from Windmill & Co and snap your first holiday photo.
- Make sure you pop in to Australian Produce Store for all your inflight snacks and hacks. We’re talking everything from Tim Tams to lanolin oils and lip balms to ensure you’re prepped for the long haul. Find our snack guide here.
- On the early flight? Treat yourself to one of Dandelion & Driftwood’s signature blends with their locally famous scones and jam.
- If you’ve got your hands full with the kids but don’t want to miss out on duty free shopping, make sure you pre-order your Lotte Duty Free for collection to end your holiday on a high note
TIP 5: Lost and found
Remember to pack your valuables securely including your passports and ID, phones and favourite toys. If you do misplace something in the terminal, get in touch with our lost property team to try and find your items.
Lost passports and other identification documents like drivers licences must be handed into the Australian Federal Police. If you think you lost your item near the boarding gate, on the place or if you are missing your luggage, you’ll need to contact your airline’s lost property team.
Plan ahead: Busy travel times at Brisbane Airport
School holidays are often the busiest travel times at Brisbane Airport, if you are planning future travel be aware of our typically busy times below.
- The start of school holidays and returning home just before the school holidays end.
- Easter holiday break.
- Leading up to Christmas - 22, 23 and 24 December.
Important travel planning dates: Queensland School Holidays
- December - January School Holidays: Saturday 14 December 2019 - Monday 27 January 2020
- Easter holiday break: Saturday 4 April - Sunday 19 April 2020
- June - July School Holidays: Saturday 27 June - Sunday 12 July 2020
- September - October School Holidays: Saturday 19 September - Monday 5 October 2020
- December - January School Holidays: Saturday 12 December 2019 - Tuesday 26 January 2021
Find all important school holidays and term dates here.
And if all else fails, smile. Your holiday is about to begin after all!