Brisbane Airport Corporation (BAC) recognises that sustainability is essential not just in ensuring long-term, responsible growth, but also in safeguarding the environment for future generations. Our refreshed sustainability strategy builds on a long history of achievements, while developing partnerships with key stakeholders and aligning with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
This provides an exciting future pathway for BAC, through a holistic approach that commits to delivering positive, sustainable outcomes through three actionable pillars: Protect our Planet, Grow Responsibly and Support our Communities. Within these pillars are nine focus areas ensuring responsible and collaborative outcomes, which underpin our purpose to create a world-leading Airport City that future generations trust and are proud of.
Brisbane Airport recognises that being a leader in sustainability means constantly challenging ourselves to create the best future possible. Our revised sustainability targets demonstrate our focus on building a sustainable Airport City. This includes a commitment to be a Net Zero airport by 2025, which is a significant advancement from our original 2050 target. In addition, our 2030 waste and water targets will greatly reduce our environmental footprint.
But we won't stop here. We will continue to challenge ourselves to increase the scope of our targets and commitments, and we will report on our performance through the BAC Annual Report.
Our Sustainability Pillars
Protecting our planet is essential to the ongoing prosperity of our natural ecosystem and to limit the impacts that BAC has on the environment through three focus areas of Decarbonisation, Circular Economy and Climate Change Resilience. This will be achieved by:
- Achieving Net Zero emissions by 2025
- Increasing our adaptive capacity and resilience against climate change
- Transitioning to renewable energy and increasing our energy efficiency
- Enhancing biodiversity and protecting our coastal ecosystems
- Progressing towards a circular economy by reducing natural resource consumption and delivering environment best practice outcomes
In growing responsibly, we aim to ensure that the airport and our local community continues to prosper by focusing on Sustainable Design, Sustainable Procurement and Employee Experience. This will be achieved by:
- Promoting health and wellbeing to ensure the Brisbane Airport community is healthy and happy
- Ensuring diversity and inclusion is a priority across all aspects of our business
- Ensuring sustainable procurement principles are embedded across our business operations
- Enhancing sustainable design across all new and existing developments
- Delivering significant socio-economic impact, facilitating the 24,000+ jobs and generating considerable value for Queensland families
- Planning for future growth through sustainable investment and building sustainable supply chains and destinations
Supporting our Communities has always been a priority for Brisbane Airport in our day-to-day operations. It is also an imperative pillar for a sustainable future, with focus areas on Partnerships and Engagement, Education and ensuring the airport is for everyone. This will be achieved by:
- Engaging our community on the burdens and benefits of our operations and giving back to our airport neighbours
- Building partnerships and collaborations with the aviation industry, our supply chain and our community to accelerate sustainable outcomes
- Increasing transparency and building positive and trustworthy relationships with our communities